Sunday, August 21, 2016

I Apparently Forgot Math

Yep, seems I forgot how to add. That's got to be the only explanation for how I could mess up the numbers for the Xavier school records that might fall this year in my earlier post about them. Thank goodness Excel does the math for you; a quick little formula for a couple of cells and suddenly I realize I'm thankful I don't have to ever take the ACT again.

Anyway, let's get things set the way they oughta be. First of all, I had overlooked Bryce Schulte's freshman passing stats in adding up his current career totals, which left out 5 completions, 6 attempts, 82 yards and (importantly) 2 TD passes. I also hadn't included his single TD reception that he got against Central-DeWitt in 2014. Throwing those stats into the mix, as well as discovering a previously overlooked Xavier school record, shows Bryce is TIED with his brother Reggie for the school mark for total TDs (rushing, passing, and receiving). Both the Schultes have a total of 54, with Bryce looking at another season to play.

Bryce is 921 total yards off the school record, as well as 1253 passing yards, 63 pass attempts, and 13 TD passes. Reggie currently holds all those records, which Bryce has an excellent shot to surpass this fall (he's averaged 160 attempts, 1333.5 passing yards, 1476.5 total yards, and 17 TD passes the past two seasons). Bryce is also 89 pass completions away from Reggie's school-record 265, which is reachable (although Bryce has yet to complete more than 87 passes in a season).

So, yeah. I'm pretty sure those totals are now correct (I earlier had Bryce needing less than 900 total yards to pass Reggie, but I have no idea how I came up with that number. I then corrected that to over 1000, which also turned out to be wrong, because I added wrong AND I didn't include his freshman numbers. Arrgh).

We are less than a week away from the kickoff of the 2016 season! Check back here each week to keep up with the Xavier Saints and what else is happening in 3A District 3 (I see the Gazette picks Charles City and Vinton-Shellsburg to finish high in the district, with Waverly-Shell Rock picked to finish last. Huh. Not what I was thinking, but who knows, right?).

No comments:

Post a Comment